Sunday, December 9, 2007

The New Kid

pulled into the parking lot adjacent to Bicycles Plus in Folsom for the Jesse ride earlier this morning... There, all decked out and ready to ride, was Torrey Phillip, one of our newest riders. We had emailed back and forth a week or so ago about the ride...

One of the things I have a hard time balancing as director of DBCJRT is a non-DBCJRT specific ride. If I set up a ride and invite the juniors to come I know I am responsible for them. I know that I will leave nobody behind. With other rides, like the Jesse ride, the Wheelworks ride, or Tues/Thurs rides the line is not so clear. If a DBCJRT athlete is there I feel responsible for them because they are a part of our team even if it is not a DBCJRT ride. If/when they start going off the back I'm torn... stay with them, or continue my ride... one of the limited times I have to ride.

I had some trepidation about having Torrey on the ride because I knew I would go off the back with him if he got dropped. But then what about the other DBCJRT kids who might get dropped later in the ride, farther from home?

Not to worry... our newest kidlet rode strong. He ate when I told him to eat, listened as Jim, Alex, and I gave him pointers about saving energy in the group, etc. Granted Jesse is recovering from a rough week, and the ride was considerably easier and shorter than previous weeks, but Torrey was there right up to the end.

I'm looking forward to watching him develop as a bike racer... he's got the engine. It'll be fun to teach him how to race. Another project for 08!!!

Keep up the good work, Torrey!

No comments:

Yard Sale

______________________________________

New Ultegra 10-speed Shifters... $250 (discounted for juniors)

contact damavu@hotmail.com to purchase

______________________________________

Authentic DBCJRT Clothing

New 2008 Race Jersey... sizes sm, md, xl... $56/ea
New 2007 Race Jersey... size sm... $28
New 2006 3/4 zip Jersey... size lg... $28
New 2006 Wind Vest... size lg...$27
New 2008 Peloton Shorts... size md... $56
New 2008 Bib Shorts... sizes sm, md... $56/ea
New 2007 Bib Shorts... size sm... $28/ea
New DBCJRT Socks... sizes sm, md, lg, xl... $7/pair

contact samnbad@comcast.net to purchase