Friday, October 19, 2007

Bits and Pieces...


Hey ya'll... Foxy's Fall century is this Saturday, as in tomorrow. It is the last chance to finish those last few volunteer hours that you need in order to receive your race reimbursements. Hopefully you've contacted a rest stop captain, corner marshal, etc and made arrangements to volunteer. BTW... if you are applying for a reimbursement of your race entry fees this year, the request is due by November 14th.





Sheesh, I hate passing along boring logistics... simply nothing entertaining about it.



------------------------------------------------------------------------



On a more interesting note...



A hat trick for the 2006 Grand Tours... In 2007 they go 2 for 3???

  • Ivan Basso, 2006 Giro Winner: busted for "trying to dope." I don't know... maybe he should have admitted to doping instead of looking so foolish as to be someone who tried to cheat, but couldn't even get that right.

  • Floyd Landis, 2006 Tour Winner (at least he used to be): keep appealling Floyd... there is always a higher authority. Either that, or man up and cop to it the way Millar and Hamilton did. Oh wait... I mean Millar. Hamilton is still trying to make us believe he has an unborn twin somewhere. At least Tyler expanded my vocabulary ----> chimera... Floyd can only provide soap opera style entertainment. And that is a waste of my time.

  • Alexander Vinokourov: 2006 Vuelta Winner: and I liked this guy right up until the time that I realized his sporadic greatness may have been a sign of, hmmm, doping...
and most recently...
  • Danillo DiLuca, 2007 Giro Winner: busted for hanging out with doper enablers... This guy, I really did like him but never thought he could climb well enough to win a major tour. Thought he proved me wrong, but I should have been suspicious.

  • Alberto Contador, 2007 Tour Gift Receiver, oops I mean winner: In the spirit of being fair, Alberto has never been caught, umm, I mean doped. He has been chummy with another one of those doper enablers though. I've heard it said that, "He is gonna be great... until they catch him." Not my words... just passing along things I've heard.

  • Dennis Menchov, 2007 Vuelta Winner: Squeaky clean, but boring as hell...
Do you think there is a doping problem in European Cycling? If so, how far down does it filter? Domestic pros? Elite Amateurs? Weekend Warriors? Juniors? 8 year olds riding BMX on their way to school? I'm still optomistic that it hasn't permeated this side of the pond...


------------------------------------------------------------------------

On a more somber note...


A cyclist was killed the other day while commuting between Davis and Woodland... Unfortunately, this is not the first time, nor will it be the last, that we've heard news like this. This one hit home though...



The accident occurred on road 99 between roads 27 and 29... this is my commute to work. I've passed the victim countless times as he was heading south and I was heading north. I've sold tires and tubes to the victim when I worked at Ken's Bike and Ski. AWfoSho and El Gigante have hit golf balls with him at the local golf course. He was no more than an aquaintance, but it was too close... It made me think twice about turning the kidlets loose on the road. It sounds like the victim was doing everything right... on or near the fog line, rear blinky, headlight... and the accident still happened. To the family of Francisco Lopez, our thoughts and prayers are with you. To the rest of you... be careful out there.



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That does hit way too close to home... be careful out there, please!!!

Anonymous said...

This is really scary for family far away from you all. I thought those flat, straight roads made things relatively safe. We always worry about bikes here with our hills and blind curves. PLEASE be careful!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Yard Sale

______________________________________

New Ultegra 10-speed Shifters... $250 (discounted for juniors)

contact damavu@hotmail.com to purchase

______________________________________

Authentic DBCJRT Clothing

New 2008 Race Jersey... sizes sm, md, xl... $56/ea
New 2007 Race Jersey... size sm... $28
New 2006 3/4 zip Jersey... size lg... $28
New 2006 Wind Vest... size lg...$27
New 2008 Peloton Shorts... size md... $56
New 2008 Bib Shorts... sizes sm, md... $56/ea
New 2007 Bib Shorts... size sm... $28/ea
New DBCJRT Socks... sizes sm, md, lg, xl... $7/pair

contact samnbad@comcast.net to purchase