Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Has This Ever Happened to You?

A few years back I was suckered into a deal... Get 3 issues of Vel-Old-News for free when you purchase a 12 month subscription. "Sure," I'm thinking, "At least it'll make for good bathroom reading." Send in the postcard with the little yellow sticker that says, "Yes"... Ya'll probably know which one I'm talking about.

Several weeks later I'm anxiously awaiting my first issue. Finally it arrives and, in small print on the cover, it says, "display until May 06" or something like that. Problem is it is July 06. Hmm... Flash forward a few weeks and a notice comes in the mail. Mind you, I haven't received my 2nd free issue yet. It says my subscription is about to expire. Gotta be a mistake, I'm thinking. I haven't even been billed yet. Then the bill comes and, just like dad taught me, I pay it first thing. Still haven't received my 2nd free issue though. Then sometime in September I get two issues back to back. The first one says it should be displayed until September something or other. Cool, I'm thinking they finally got it right. Then the next day, my 3rd free issue comes and it is supposed to be displayed until August and covers the first half of the Tour. Hmm... I think I received one more issue and then they sent me an expiration notice along with a request for renewal. I simply wrote,"Yea, right." and returned the card. No more issues...

So, it's all good. I'm sure it was a simple mistake. Or, maybe, somebody went postal somewhere and my issues were retained as evidence, or something like that... afterall, it was only a few bucks.

Recently, El Gigante received a subscription to Vel-Old-News from his grandmother. First two issues right on time. Then nothing... Finally, three or four days ago, the issue with Bettini blasting away on the cover comes. Okay, at least it's semi-timely, but I can't even crack the cover because I've already heard all the news. And today... Vel-Old-News blessed me by telling me that good-old Georgie won the Tour of Missouri. What? do those guys randomly send out back issues whenever they feel like it?

Regardless, I let go a solid belly laugh when, in addition to the ToM issue, there is a letter from the rag requesting a subscription, for which I will be able to not only NOT receive my issues but I can give them the address of any friend I wish so that they may also NOT receive their issues. A two for one deal!!!

I'm half-tempted to subscribe and have the free subscription sent to myself also. Maybe that way I'll get half the issues I pay for in half the time it usually takes to get them to me.

BTW Has anybody heard who won Milano-San Remo this year?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

that's pretty funny... I've never had a problem with them, and then you have crap for crap twice in a row.
btw, i bought some armadilos... those things are made out of stone! i can't bend them at all. at least they will last forever, right?
-you know who

Auffderbach said...

OK Steve, I promised I would let you in on the juicey stuff.
Micah was all set to ride with the Lombardy U23 squad being led by his DS from l'abitibi, Tim Redus.
Teammates were Tyler G., Ben B.Rhyne, and JP Le C.
However, Mike Hernandez called up and asked Junior to be a part of the new VOS P~1,2 group and seeing as Mike is pretty much Micah's hero, he couldn't say no.
So we will see him in new colors this coming year. (I think they're red, black and white.)

Scott

Steve said...

right on... If anybody can show Micah the p/1/2 ropes it is Michael Hernandez. Any other young bucks joining him?

I've heard much talk about the Lombardi u23 program. Last I heard was that it might not happen. True?

I hadn't heard about Micah's 2's upgrade. tell him congrats for me.

Yard Sale

______________________________________

New Ultegra 10-speed Shifters... $250 (discounted for juniors)

contact damavu@hotmail.com to purchase

______________________________________

Authentic DBCJRT Clothing

New 2008 Race Jersey... sizes sm, md, xl... $56/ea
New 2007 Race Jersey... size sm... $28
New 2006 3/4 zip Jersey... size lg... $28
New 2006 Wind Vest... size lg...$27
New 2008 Peloton Shorts... size md... $56
New 2008 Bib Shorts... sizes sm, md... $56/ea
New 2007 Bib Shorts... size sm... $28/ea
New DBCJRT Socks... sizes sm, md, lg, xl... $7/pair

contact samnbad@comcast.net to purchase